Thursday, March 1, 2012

Underdog Week: Day 4

     I've constantly heard the phrase "4 has more", and we are now at day four of underdog week and I certainly have more music for you.  I'm blogging earlier tonight than I have the rest of this week, and that is because I was able to get my hands on some NBA tickets to go see the Oklahoma City Thunder face the Orlando Magic.   I'm super stoked since this will be my first live NBA game.

    As underdog week continues to gain momentum I'm starting to get into the songs that well up compassion mixed with anger. The compassion reaches out to those oppressed and my anger is stirred at those who oppress them.  It is truly abhorring to really take a look at how we treat each other.  The reasons behind our actions are also more deeply rooted within us than we actually realize. There will be more on that later.

     Tonight's song belongs to the group Rise Against
[]
[]
V
This band has been together since 1999, and as their name implies  they rise against social injustice. The band is known for its political lyrics and activism. They have a song entitled that speaks against global warming, and they actively support animal rights as well. Their musical style has become smoother over the years.  They have released six studio albums since their beginning and the 6th CD contains tonight's song.
Their CD Endgame was released on March 15th, 2011.  If you enjoy the occasional rock song I would suggest that you pick up their CD and just listen to the lyrics.  They are well constructed and thoroughly thought out.  The song that I'm going to focus on is Make it Stop (September's Children)



Woah, woah.

Bang bang go the coffin nails,
Like a breath exhaled,
Then gone forever.
It seems like just yesterday,
How did I miss the red flags raise?

Think back to the days we laughed
We braved these bitter storms together.
Brought to his knees he cried,
But on his feet he died.

What God would damn a heart?
And what God drove us apart?
What God could

Make it stop
Let this end
Eighteen years pushed to the ledge.
It's come to this,
A weightless step.
On the way down singing,
Woah, woah.

Bang bang from the closet walls,
The schoolhouse halls,
The shotgun's loaded.
Push me and I'll push back.
I'm done asking, I demand.

From a nation under God,
I feel it's love like a cattle prod.
Born free, but still they hate.
Born me, no I can't change.

It's always darkest just before the dawn.
So stay awake with me, let's prove them wrong.

Make it stop.
Let this end,
Eighteen years pushed to the ledge.
It's come to this,
A weightless step.
On the way down singing,
Woah, woah.

The cold river washed him away,
But how could we forget.
The gatherings hold candles
But not their tongues.

And too much blood has flown from the wrists,
Of the children shamed for those they chose to kiss.
Who will rise to stop the blood.

We're calling for
Insisting on
A different beat, yeah
A brand new song

Woah, woah.
(Tyler Clemente age 18)
A brand new song
Woah, woah.
(Billy Lucas age 15)
Woah, woah.
(Harrison Chase Brown age 15)
Woah, woah.
(Cody J. Barker age 17)
(Seth Walsh age 13)

Make it stop.
Let this end,
This life chose me, I'm not lost in sin
But proud I stand
Of who I am
I plan to go on living

Make it stop.
Let this end,
All these years pushed to the ledge.
But proud I stand
Of who I am
I plan to go on living

     This song takes a stand against a very specific type of bullying.  It is the type of bullying that targets those who are "different" from us. The discrimination of those gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgenders is depraved and comes from a place of insecurity.  I'm not pretending that I know what it is like to endure this type of torment, but I am trying to add my voice to the call that this can not be tolerated.  It makes me sick to hear stories of alienation and torment of anyone, and the bullying of these valuable people, and I'll say again people, seems to be much more harsh and unforgiving.  
     
     Growing up in the Adventist church the message was that these people were sinning, and I can not fully depict how much I have resented that notion as I have grown older.  As a society we seem to always be looking for reasons that we are better than others.  We look for anything that we can use to raise ourselves up above others.  I've ministered to a few gay couples over my time in the hospital.  I've always been nervous.  Not because of who they are, but because of who I am.  Christians tend to be the biggest oppressors when it comes to sexual preference.  I was worried that as a minister they would feel judged by me when in truth I hold as much compassion for them as I do anyone else I minister to.  

     "We're calling for a different beat yeah a brand new song." Things in our society need to change.  One of the most striking lines to me is, "One nation under God.  I feel it's love like a cattle prod."  This makes me think of the Westboro Baptist Church and how they chant how "God hates fags."  There is no God in that statement.  Everything about what they are saying goes against God's love.  From the Bible we learn that Jesus would have come to die even if only one human would repent.  I ask you what if that person was gay?  I believe that doesn't matter. "What God would damn a heart? And what God drove us apart? What God could Make it stop Let this end Eighteen years pushed to the ledge. it's come to this, A weightless step. On the way down singing, Woah, woah."  God loves each and every human that he created.  The God that I have found in the scriptures hurts for each of his children when they are bullied for being themselves.  There are some biblical passages that I still need to work through in regards to my own personal theology, but that is the journey I'm on.   I've heard the arguments that "It's just a chemical imbalance", "It's a choice", and others.  I have some friends who are gay and I have been told that it wasn't a choice for them.  They knew they were different, but couldn't explain why they didn't like girls.  

     I recently watched a documentary entitled, "The Flight from Death: The Quest for Immortality"  In this documentary they talk about how people, especially if reminded of their mortality, can respond in a very violent manner against things that are different because of the perceived threat they pose against their most cherished beliefs.  Wars tend to boil down to social issues before anything else.  In 2001 our response to the tragedy in New York was war.  Our very foundations were shaken and we retaliated in a rather primitive manner.  In my opinion LGBT discrimination is a microcosm of this type of response.  

     The song's beginning revolves around a particular boy who jumped in the river and killed himself because he couldn't stand it anymore.  He bought into the lies that his bullies were telling him and found freedom.  "And too much blood has flown from the wrists, Of the children shamed for those they chose to kiss. Who will rise to stop the blood?"  I don't understand why we as a society look at the differences between us.  I'm striving to glorify similarities while celebrating the differences.  Life would be boring with only one color, and it would be stale with only one type of person. 


    "Brought to his knees he cried, But on his feet he died." I admire the courage of those individuals who have to face this torment face on.  They have a lot of strength and value that don't receive as much recognition as they should. It is my hope and prayer that we can learn to truly love each other.  I think people like Ellen Degeneres and Neil Patrick Harris can help turn things around.  These two people have come very far, and they have shown how similar every person is despite their sexual preference.  I can't say that I know anyone who doesn't like at least one of them. 

     That's a portion of my feelings on the topic.  If you want to pick my brain I'd be glad to share more.  This brings day 4 of Underdog week to a close, and I have to say I'm really excited about tomorrow's post.  It is going to be legend.... wait or iiiiiiit


No comments:

Post a Comment